Wednesday, September 3, 2014

First Day Of School


As hard as it was for us to believe, our baby girl LC started preschool on August 19th.  It seems like we've been talking about school forever, and we were all excited and all nervous once the day actually arrived.  Our morning was pretty typical, but after breakfast, LC started asking to get dressed and ready for school.  She picked out a pink shirt, and after much discussion, we convinced her that she didn't need to wear her Doctor's coat and stethoscope to school.  She was satisfied with her Doc McStuffins backpack, lunchbox, and cup.

We took the obligatory first day of school pictures at the house, and LC was happy to show off her smile and new Doc McStuffins gear.

LT...unsure of what's happening, but about to love the alone time with Mommy

Didn't realize it was quite this big when we bought it...
She was so excited when we got to school, and she insisted on wearing her backpack all by herself.  She looked so tiny wearing that giant backpack.

Thankfully, there was just a lunchbox in there.  Otherwise, she'd probably be on her back.
When we got to her classroom, she walked right in and didn't even turn back to say goodbye.  Her eyes lit up with a curious excitement at the new kids and new toys, and away she went.  I called her name and waved, and she ran back out and gave me a big, happy hug.  I did not handle this gracefully, and completely started crying.  Trying to play it off, I scooped up LT and walked down the hall and let Daddy handle the rest of the goodbye.  She was excited to be in a new place with new people, and didn't seem to mind that Mom and Dad were leaving with LT.

When I picked her up, she was super happy and excited to tell me about her day.
Here's what I learned:

  1. Played outside on the playground.  There were 5 slides, and she went down all of them.
  2. They read a book about a bear and skunk.  The skunk was bad, but then turned good.
  3. They sang a song about going to look for bears.
  4. There was a little potty there.  And a stool she could stand on to wash her hands.
  5. She played an instrument. It was purple.

She was curious about what LT and I did while she was gone.  I didn't admit that we spent the first hour of her school day in bed watching Curious George while Mommy worked through her little girl going off to school.  Or that I let him play with all the toys she had deemed off limits for baby brother.

We had a successful first day, and the first few weeks have gone just as smoothly.   Hopefully LC will continue to enjoy school.



2nd week.  Acting like a seasoned school veteran...



No comments:

Post a Comment