Thursday, June 16, 2011

The First Two Weeks

Yesterday was LC's two week birthday!  Part of me can't believe that she is already two weeks old and feels like time is flying by, and another part feels like she has been a part of our family forever, and I don't really remember what life was like before her.


We brought LC home from the hospital on Saturday, June 4, which was my original due date.  We had planned on this super cute little outfit, and how fun it would be to take pictures of our little family on the way home.  Yeah, not so much.  She was angry when we put her in the car seat, I had to leave in a wheel chair, and we were being stalked by the hospital baby photographer who was trying to sell us stuff on our way out the door.  It was a little hectic.  As you can see LC, was not excited about the car seat at first.  But thankfully she calmed down for the car ride home.


Once we got her home, it was a bit of a whirlwind.  Lot of visitors and trying to figure out where things go and how to live in our house with a baby.  The first few days she slept a lot and there were lots of willing grandparents and visitors to hold and entertain her.  She got to meet Grandpa and her Aunt Ashley on Sunday when they drove up from St. Petersburg.

Meeting Aunt Ashley

Two men and a baby
On Monday morning, my Dad, also known as the Baby Whisperer, had to leave to go back to NC.  I was very sad to see him go. Thankfully he'll be back in just a few weeks.  My Mom was able to stay through Thursday, which was such a big help.  When LC would wake up to eat around 4 or 5am, I would feed her, then my Mom, who happens to wake up crazy early, would take her and play with her and get her to go back to sleep, and I would sleep fitfully for a few hours.  LC is a bit of a loud sleeper, and Trevor and I are both kind of paranoid.  Hearing her make noises is distracting from deep sleep, but then when I don't hear them, one of us will get up and peek at her to make sure everything is ok.  Two weeks later, we're still doing this, but not quite as often.  Poor kid is constantly having a light shine on her or a face all up in her business when she's trying to sleep.  My Mom will back in about a week, and I am very much looking forward to having her back in town.

Hanging with my girls

Overall, the past two weeks have been wonderful, scary, hilarious, hard, and a 100 other emotions.  I have always heard how difficult the first few weeks are with a baby, but it never quite sunk in until I was living it.  The combination of crazy hormones and lack of sleep have led to more than a few crying episodes on my part.  I am so lucky to have Trevor - he is an amazing Dad and he keeps me grounded when I am having a hard time.  LC is already a bit of a Daddy's girl, both in looks in behavior.  Her favorite sleeping place is definitely Trevor's chest, and she makes many of the same expressions as her Dad.  It melts my heart when she makes one of his faces or naps on him.  Seriously, how cute is this? 

Napping with Daddy

We went to the Doctor yesterday for her two week check-up. She's already past her birth weight, and is now up to 8lbs, 15ounces.  She is definitely a little eater, which is good because she's growing big and strong.  I am so glad we had a doctor's appointment yesterday because he was so reassuring.  I overdosed a bit on baby books, and my head was full of all these things I thought we should be doing or not doing.  The biggest piece of advice I have gotten was to just enjoy this time because it goes so fast, but I have been having a difficult time with that because I have been so stressed about messing up.  Between Trevor's level head and the doctor's reassurance, I am now just trying to enjoy her and this time while she's so little, and I'll start to focus on getting into a routine in the next few weeks.  It is pretty easy to smile and be happy with this little face -

Wondering how our firstborn furry little daughter is adjusting to having a baby in the house?  Annabelle has been great.  She's curious, and loves sniffing the baby.  She follows us into her room every time we go in there, and likes checking out all of LC's stuff.  When the baby is screaming in the middle of the night, Annabelle will lift her head up and give me a look like "what is all this about" but then she rolls over and goes back to sleep.  Once LC is a bit more active, I think she and Annabelle will be great friends.

We went our first walk a few days ago.  We would have gone sooner, but the air in Jacksonville is super smoky right now, so its been tough.  LC seemed to really enjoy her stroller and being outside.  Trevor and I were a bit nervous about the whole thing, and the walk was brief.  Yesterday, I ventured out with Annabelle and LC on my own.  Annabelle didn't quite know what to do having to walk by the stroller, but we'll figure it out.
First stroller ride
Playing with a newborn is a bit of a challenge since she doesn't focus much and tends to fall asleep.  LC loves to hang out on her changing table and listen to Trevor and I talk.  She also loves playing on her activity mat.  She's only into the mat for a few minutes at a time, but its so cute watching her look at the lights and check herself out in the mirror. 
Who's that adorable baby in the mirror?

Here are a few other pictures from our baby's first two weeks. 
 This blanket belonged to Trevor's Dad and his Uncle Steve and was made by Trevor's Aunt Martha 54 years ago.  Our girl is the third generation of babies to snuggle with it.


 We can't help but sing "awww, freak out!" when looking at this picture.  Apparently this reflex is pretty common among newborns, and Trevor and I crack up when she does it in her sleep like this.  It supposedly goes away after the first month, and I will definitely miss her little hands flailing around randomly.


Stretching out in her pretty little sleep sack on her changing table.  She loves hanging out there and checking out the world, and she likes to stretch her little legs all the way out.

Thank you to everyone for all of your happy wishes, and for all of our local friends who have been making our lives so much easier by bringing all kinds of delicious meals.  All of your support is very much appreciated.  






No comments:

Post a Comment