LT was born on Monday, December 17th at 12:28pm. Our healthy baby boy came in at 8 pounds, 14 ounces and 20.5 inches long. The surgery was successful and both Mom and baby are doing great. Everyone was released from the hospital on Wednesday morning, so we were able to get home early and start the process of becoming a family of four.
LT's Birth Story...
This time around, the delivery was a scheduled c-section. We decided to go this route based on our doctor's recommendation and because his due date was so close to Christmas. We also figured it would help us with planning what to do with LC while we were in the hospital. Ever since we made this decision, I have been nervous about the surgery and whether were doing the right thing. I was worried that we would be making him come out before he was ready, and that he would be really small. Of course, after coming out with his 8lb 14oz birth weight, clearly I had nothing to worry about.
The surgery was scheduled for noon on December 17, so Trevor and I needed to be at the hospital at 10am. My parents, who had arrived on Saturday, took LC to her favorite place - the ABC store - aka Target, to distract her before we left. It was tough saying goodbye to her, it was strange thinking how much her life was about to change, and she really had no idea. But she was happy to hop in the car and head out on her adventure with Grandma and Grandpa.
It was surreal arriving at the hospital and 'checking in' like we were at a hotel. A nurse walked us to our room, and of course, we ended up in room 14--which everyone really knows is 13. Needless to say I'm a little superstitious and I started to freak out a little. There was no switching rooms; this one was all set up just for us--nice, but also a little weird. We got as settled as we could and the nurse immediately starts walking us through what was going to happen--taking blood, doing IVs, all that kind of stuff.
Once she was done, Trevor and I were left alone in the room with almost an hour before the surgery was set to begin, and I was overwhelmed with emotion and started freaking out a little. I was nervous about having to be cut open, especially while awake, and worried about LT and if he was going to be OK. I was generally just overwhelmed with the fact that we were bringing another person into the world and our family.
Before long, the anesthesiologist showed up and started to walk me through what was about to happen. When I had LC, the anesthesiologists were fantastic, and randomly two of the most attractive people Trevor and I had seen (it was a man and woman team with awkward, yet entertaining, sexual tension). This guy? Not so much. He was in his late 50's, had a very slow, Southern accent, and really bad teeth. As he was reviewing what would happen, I could feel myself starting to panic. This was the guy whose face I was going to have to look at and talk to for an hour during surgery? Not OK. Thankfully, I didn't have too much time to dwell on it, as it was time to head back to the operating room.
Trevor was all decked out in his scrub suit, mask and hair net, but sadly he had stay outside the OR until everything was all set up, so I was on my own. When I had LC, it was an emergency and I already had the epidural all set-up, so it was kind of a blur. This time, I strolled into an operating room in a hospital gown, and hopped up on the operating table myself. Weird. And scary. Also, when I had LC, the nurses had put the radio on some station that had Tupac playing "California Love", which instantly made me laugh and relax. This time, I walked in and "Jingle Bell Rock" was playing on the radio. And all of the nurses were bopping along to it, so when they asked if I wanted it changed, I said no. I figured Christmas music would be festive. After getting the spinal and laying down on the table (still just me and annoying anaesthesiologist on my side of the curtain) "Silent Night" came on, and it was too sappy and emotional so I asked that it be changed. The radio ended up on a classic rock station, which turned out to be a good choice.
| Not much longer... |
| Holding Daddy's finger, getting checked out |
| LT relaxing after birth |
Overall the entire delivery experience was so much better than I had expected, and of course, the most important thing was that LT arrived safely and was healthy. Once we were back in the room and I got to hold him, all of the other stuff that had stressed me out seemed so stupid, and his sweet little face made everything better. I was able to nurse him right away, and Trevor and I were able to spend some quality time together with just the three of us before the rest of our family arrived. Unfortunately, I got really nauseous from the surgery and was pretty sick for the next few hours.
| Mommy and her new boy |
I was so happy to see LC and our parents. LC was so sweet as she came running in to the room shouting "Ma!" She hopped into bed with me, and we snuggled for about 15 seconds until she noticed the balloons and cup of ice chips. She was pretty uninterested in LT and eight days later she is just starting to come around. She is finally starting to notice him and has even learned to say "baby" in the past few days. It's so amazing to see her point at him and talk to him, even if she has no idea that he'll be staying permanently. She is such a sweet girl, we have no doubts that she will be the best big sister for LT.
This is much longer than I intended and it is time to squeeze in some much-needed rest while LT is actually sleeping. Trevor and I will emerge from the baby cave again soon with more updates and photos. We are so grateful for our beautiful family and for all of the love and support from our family and friends.
| On his way home from the hospital |
| Relaxing outside with Mimi |
| Sleeping in the Boppy with Grandpa keeping watch |
No comments:
Post a Comment